Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March 9th - April 23rd 2011

I'm not Catholic, and I can't even lie and say I know what it means to be Catholic. However, I went to Catholic church for over a year while I was overseas studying and it was the closest church to my house, and I just wanted a place to worship. That is when I learnt about Lent.

Lent represents the 40 days Jesus spent alone in worship in the wilderness before the beginning of his public ministry where he withstood temptations from Satan. Christians have adopted the 40 days before Easter as the Lenten period and typically prepare themselves by prayer and fasting or avoidance of certain food items. Many will not eat meat or levened bread during this period.

For me Lent represent a time of sacrifice and discipline. I make myself Lenten promises that I keep for the 6 weeks duration. As I'm on a weight-loss journey, my promises mostly revolve around it. I usually vow to give up all sorts of junk that does not help my mission. However, this year I have decided to do it differently.

I know I have not been updating my blog as regularly as I'd like, and it worries me quite a bit. SO, this year my # 1 Lenten promise is to stop worrying about the blog, to feel no pressure at all to blog. As it is, I may not even blog during the whole 6 weeks. I also want to devote the 6 weeks to myself, to be selfish for the next 6 six, to think about myself first, and make plans that revolve around what's best for me first.

That's all, very simple. Lent this year is for ME ME ME, and ME.  Everything else builds around that.

No comments:

Post a Comment